Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Sharks will end trophy hoodoo – Onduku


He is one of the underrated wingers in the Nigeria Premier League (NPL). Gomo Onduku (standing 1st from right) talks to SuperSport.com following his goal-winning performance for Sharks at Heartland in Week 18.

The former Bayelsa United man speaks on Sharks, their trophy hoodoo on the domestic front, Victor Ezeji and the likely winners of this season's Premier League.

SuperSport.com: What's the feeling like being among the goals lately for Sharks?

Onduku: I'm very, very happy with my progress this season and I believe it can only get better as the season continues.

SuperSport.com: So is it safe to say we will see more goals from you as the season progresses?

Onduku: Of course. It's just unfortunate that we did not start the league well this season. We had some ups and downs but we are trying to put our acts together now.

SuperSport.com: And what do you make of your winning goal against Heartland on Sunday? Were you confident of beating Heartland in that game?

Onduku: I was very sure because in the past two seasons we have not lost to them in their home. So when we arrived (in Calabar for the game) that was the first thing that came to our minds. We were determined to go all out to win.

SuperSport.com: At some point in the season, Bright Ejike seemed to be the only player scoring the goals for Sharks, were you worried at that point that you couldn't share in that responsibility?

Onduku: I was not because I've provided assists for three of his goals. He's a great striker no doubt but I always tell him to compose himself because I believe that he will be among the highest goalscorers this season.

SuperSport.com: People have said the absence of Victor Ezeji might affect Sharks up front this season. Do you agree with that school of thought?

Onduku: I don't really agree with that. He is the most brilliant striker I've seen in the NPL, and I must admit that we are missing him now but we still have players who are capable of filling the big space he has left. I know when he comes back he will join us again.

SuperSport.com: Sharks have never won any major trophy in Nigeria that is talking about the league and the FA Cup. Do you often think about this or does it give you concern?

Onduku: Of course I am really worried about that though as a player I have won the league with my former team, Bayelsa United. Personally my aim is to win the FA Cup (now known as the Federation Cup).

SuperSport.com: In essence are you saying Sharks' most realistic chance of winning a trophy this season is in the FA Cup?

Onduku: Not actually but personally that's my aim. Last season in the FA Cup I wanted to win it. At that time I just returned from trials in South Africa and I played in the FA Cup and we did well. I scored three goals in the group stage - two against Sunshine Stars and one against Bayelsa United. But unfortunately we lost to Ocean Boys in the quarterfinals.
SuperSport.com: Which opponent has been your toughest this season? And why?

Onduku: Kwara United have been the toughest for me. They played us well with a good strategy coupled with a strong midfield and defence.

SuperSport.com: And which team is your easiest opponent?

Onduku: (laughs) Heartland.

SuperSport.com: Why do you consider Heartland the easiest you've played so far?

Onduku: They are the easiest because we outplayed them apart from our team winning the game.

SuperSport.com: This season so far we have seen Rangers, Enyimba, Kano Pillars, Gombe United and even Dolphins lead the table. In your own view which team or teams would you tip to win the league?

Onduku: I will give it to Rangers or Enyimba but we are coming up too ahead of the second round. The league is still open so I will include Sharks.

PROFILE
Date of birth: November 17, 1993
Place of birth: Ekeremor, Bayelsa State
Position: Left wing
Present club: Sharks (from 2009 till date)
Previous club(s): Bayelsa United (from 2007 - 2009)
Honour(s): NPL winner with Bayelsa United (2008/2009 season)

No comments:

Post a Comment