Monday, January 04, 2010

League Is Bigger Than Top Scorer Award – Idehen

Enyimba may have won the Premier League five times, one of its strikers, Osas Idehen, wants the current squad to emulate its predecessors by winning the title and has said individual awards count for nothing.
Idehen, who is the Premier League’s top scorer with seven goals from 11 appearances, said the league title pulls more weight than being rewarded with the highest goal scorer.
“I will prefer to win the league than the top scorer’s award. If that is the sacrifice I have to make then I will do and make sure Enyimba wins the league,” Idehen simply told Naijaligue.blogspot.com.
It is three seasons since the Peoples Elephant won the Premier League and Idehen, who has been instrumental in the club’s impressive run since the start of the 2009/2010 campaign wants to be part of the team that would bring the trophy to Aba at the end of this season.
The left-footed and pacy striker pointed out that he would not want to score all the goals this season and end up with just the top scorer’s award and watch another team win the league.
But Idehen also paused to say that if his goals would also bring the trophy to Aba after three seasons, he would continue to give his best in every game by scoring as much as he can.
The Peoples Elephant’s marksman does not want to receive the credit alone for the five-time champion’s blazing start to the current campaign.
“I don’t want to score all the goals for the team and not win the league. But if my goals will make the team win the league, why not? Also, I am not the only striker in the team. There are other good strikers and they have been playing well and creating the chances for me to score goals and I believe that is why we have done well so far this season,” he said.
Asked if he can surpass the 17-goal record in the Premier League, Idehen truthfully answered that he was unsure since the season is still ongoing and things could happen as the campaign continues.
“It would be good to score many goals and set a new record but football is different. Now I know that everyone knows me and it will be difficult to score more goals. I will try my best, but I don’t know if I can score 17 goals or more because I can’t see into the future, I am just a footballer,” Idehen said.
Idehen also praised the club’s manager, Okey Emordi, for believing in his ability to deliver.

No comments:

Post a Comment