Monday, June 14, 2010

Salami Sets Sight On New High

Niger Tornadoes’ forward, Eugene Salami, after toppling his Kano Pillars’ counterpart, Ahmed Musa, for the Premier League top scorer award on Sunday, is beginning to believe that he is capable to setting a new scorer’s record.
Salami told Naijaligue.blogspot.com on Monday afternoon while travelling to Port Harcourt with his club for the Federation Cup scheduled to hold mid-week that he has been working hard to realise this dream of ending Ishaya Jatau’s 20-year-old record of 17 goals.
Last season, former Akwa United striker, Akarandut Orok, came close to setting a new record but only finished the season equalling  Jatau’s before moving on to join Tunisian side, CS Sfaxien, last year.
The Tornadoes’ marksman, who netted his 17th goal in the Premier League campaign this season in his team’s 1 – 2 loss in Ibadan, has the self-belief that he can add more than one goal to set a new high in the top-flight division of the Nigerian domestic game.
“I have the belief that I can do this. But it is not just about me because my team-mates have done so much to make sure that I am here. So I am counting on them and the coach. But first it is the team that matters most now and individual awards. With the number of matches remaining I am very confident that we will do well this season and I will also be able to score more goals,” said Salami.
However, the former Lobi Stars’ man revealed to Naijaligue.blogspot.com that he and Kano Pillars’ attacking winger, Musa, are close pals and did discuss about who would win the top scorer’s award at the end of the season.
Salami disclosed that he and Musa spoke a lot on their chances of winning the highest goal scorer’s gong while they were in the Super Eagles Team B camp for the West African Football Union (WAFU) Nations Cup, which Nigeria won.
The Tornadoes’ hitman said: “I spoke to him (Musa) about the goal scorer’s award when we were in the national team camp (for the WAFU Nations Cup). We talked about who will win it and I told him I will win it. But I know he will want to give his best to also do well.”
Niger Tornadoes has three matches to play before the end of this season’s campaign and Salami is definitely going to figure in all three giving him the most realistic of chances of setting a new domestic record.

No comments:

Post a Comment