Sunday, February 27, 2011

Christopher eyes 15 goals with Ocean Boys


Ocean Boys’ man-of-the-match against Zamfara United, Chigozie Christopher, has told SuperSport.com that he has set a target of 15 goals for himself this term in the Nigeria Premier League (NPL).
Christopher has scored four goals in his last two games against Jos University Teaching Hospital (Juth) Football Club and Zamfara United including a hat-trick against the latter in his team’s 3 – 1 win at the Samson Siasia Stadium in Yenagoa.
He said: “I want to score up to 15 goals this season and I believe that by God’s grace this is possible.”

Hat-trick against Zamfara United
The 18-year-old, who became only the second player to score three goals in a single game this term after Ehiosun Ekigho of Warri Wolves, is excited that he has joined the exclusive list of players to score a hat-trick in one game.
The former player of Bayelsa United and Sharks also spoke of his thought before his hat-trick feat against Zamfara United.
“Before our game against Zamfara United I didn’t have any plan that I will score a hat-trick but that is football for you. I just told myself that I will go out there on that day and enjoy my game just like I did against Juth when we won by 4 – 1,” he said.

Best game so far
Surprisingly, the teenager told SuperSport.com that he rates his performance against The Healers, as Juth FC are called, better than that of Zamfara United. “I think my performance against Juth still remains my best game because I really enjoyed that game."

Coach Larry Eceli
Christopher, who can play as a support striker and as an attacking winger from both flanks, is happy that Ocean Boys’ head coach, Larry Eceli, has shown faith in him. That faith has resulted in four goals in two games, as Eceli handed the youngster free roles in the games against Juth FC and Zamfara United.
“I will say I am very fortunate because the coach has given me the opportunity to prove myself. There is competition for places in the team but I am happy that I have taken my chance and now the coach regards me among the team’s best players,” he said.

Resurgence of the Brass Boys
The under23 star said he is happy that within a few days that the fortune of Ocean Boys has improved from a side in the thick of the drop zone to a team now in the top half of the league table. But he was quick to point to the fact that the death of his team, Emma Ogoli, touched him and his teammates and has affected them on and off the pitch hence the resolve to do well.
“I still find it hard to believe that he (Ogoli) is gone. His death has now spurred us on to win something on his behalf because he was always a winner. Now we have to play and make sure we win for him.”

Chances of Ocean Boys this term
The Ocean Boys’ playmaker now believes that the newfound form of the former Nigerian champions will catapult them to finish among the top three at the end of the season. He said: “The first half of the season has not ended yet. Now that we are doing well, I believe we can finish in the first three positions in the league table. At least no one will want to write us off now.”

Trip to Bukola Babes
And as Ocean Boys embark on the trip to face giant-killing Bukola Babes on Monday, Christopher said he hopes that they will carry their home form to the Abubakar Tafawa Balewa Stadium in Bauchi. “We have not done well in our away games. But we hope that we can get something against Bukola Babes this weekend,” concluded Christopher.

1 comment:

  1. Hello, I have heard that the New England Revolution of the United States are about to sign a Nigerian right midfielder, do you know whot his could be?

    ReplyDelete