Monday, October 31, 2011

I can coach Eagles - Cooreman


Kaduna United head coach, Maurice Cooreman (pictured) has joined the list of coaches to have signified interest in managing the Super Eagles.

Cooreman dramatically called up SuperSport.com on Monday afternoon from his base in Kaduna to show his interest in replacing Samson Siasia as Nigeria head coach.

He said: "I have lived in Nigeria for more than a decade. I know the people and I know their football very well even though I am a foreigner. And I know what the people think concerning football too.

"But I no longer see myself as a foreigner in this country because I am part and parcel of their football now. I have managed several clubs and people know what I have achieved with them."

The Belgian coach believes he is capable of man-managing the Super Eagles' stars.

Cooreman also said his experience of travelling around the country on a weekly basis as an NPL coach gives him an edge of discovering new talents for the Super Eagles.

"I know over the years that the problem has been managing the national team players. That is why I said I know the players well and I can manage them well. I have seen a lot of players in the league who can turn out to be big players for Nigeria if they are properly groomed.

"And I know I can scout round the country and look for players that will complement the efforts of the foreign-based players. I have worked with some of the players now in the national team. Taye Taiwo was my player at Lobi, Austin Ejide worked with me at Gabros and others," Cooreman said.

On Stephen Keshi and Sunday Oliseh as probable Super Eagles' head coach, Cooreman believes both men have towering pedigrees in the game.

But the Kaduna United coach fears that both men might lack man-manage citing Keshi's row with Togo star, Emmanuel Adebayor.

"I have big, big respect for Keshi and Oliseh. They were very good players. Keshi has a very good pedigree and same for Oliseh. But coaching and managing go together and I don't know if they are ready to do this because the Super Eagles is a very different team.

"Remember Keshi had problems with Adebayor, who is Togo's biggest player. Keshi achieved the World Cup ticket with Togo but still he didn't show he can manage his players well," Cooreman told SuperSport.com.

Cooreman has won the NPL title with Ocean Boys and Enyimba while he led Kaduna United to win the Federation Cup in 2010.

He was also head coach at Gabros International FC and Lobi Stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment