Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Etebo, Olorundare relish Chan chance

Oghenekaro Etebo (pictured) and Dele Olorundare are bracing up for the opportunity to feature in the African Nations Championship (Chan) this weekend.



Both strikers have been called up into the Nigeria squad for the Chan qualifier against Ivory Coast in Kaduna this Saturday.


Interestingly this will be the first time that Etebo and Olorundare have earned calls into the Super Eagles squad.


"I'm excited with the chance but I know I must work hard to ensure that the coach look my way (for the match against Ivory Coast). There are so many quality players in camp and I just pray I'll make this count," said Etebo, who has scored nine goals for Warri Wolves in the Glo Nigeria Premier League this season.

 

Olorundare also believes it is an opportunity to worm his way into the hearts of the coaches and Nigerians.


He also wants to help the Super Eagles qualify for their first-ever Chan by replicating his scoring form for Sunshine Stars at international level after two failed attempts.


"I know we have never qualified for the tournament before but now we have the chance to change that. I am happy to be in the team for the first time and by God's grace I'll work hard to show why I'm in the team," said Olorundare.


The former Babanawa FC striker is the leading scorer in the Glo Premier League with 11 goals.


Nigeria's Super Eagles have failed to qualify for the Chan since its inception in 2009.


Keshi's men will face Ivory Coast in the second leg in a fortnight.


Tunisia are the defending champions of Chan and South Africa will play hosts to the tournament in four cities next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment