Monday, July 29, 2013

‘No pressure being an Omeruo’

He is one of three Omeruo brothers playing professional football at the moment. However, only very few football followers in Nigeria know that Sunshine Stars striker, Christian Josiah (pictured), is an Omeruo.


Josiah is brother to 2013 Africa Cup of Nations winner, Kenneth Omeruo as well as to Lucky, who is on the books of Bayelsa United.

The striker, who opted to have Josiah printed on his jersey at Sunshine Stars instead of Omeruo, explained to supersport.com that the action is a deliberate one.

Josiah, on scored three goals for Sunshine Stars in the Glo Premier League, said not using Omeruo on his shirt is not a way to avoid getting attention.

He also believes that a lot of people are beginning to recognise him as a sibling of Kenneth Omeruo and he is under no pressure due to that.

On his Facebook page, the striker also bears Christian Josiah leaving out Omeruo.

"Why should it affect me?" Josiah responded in rhetoric when asked if he opted to bear his family's popular name to avoid pressure on himself.

"Rather it should be a wake-up call because people will expect more from me. This is because I want to make a name for myself. Omeruo is already made."

But the former City Of David (COD) United striker wants to focus on his career at Sunshine Stars and hopes to make a success out of it.

While hoping to become a popular football figure soon, the striker recalled the task of juxtaposing his time as a National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) member and a professional footballer for Sunshine Stars in the town of Akure.

He acknowledged that he is at a big club with experienced players and is keen to play his way into the hearts of Sunshine Stars' faithful in order to be considered a cult hero.

"It was not easy balancing my life as a youth corp member and as a professional football player. I served in Akure. But I thank God I did and I'm glad one part of it, that is the NYSC thing has come and gone. The memories will stay with me," Josiah, who majored in Accounting at the Kano State Polytechnic, told supersport.com.

"Now I want to concentrate on my football career. Sunshine Stars is a big club with great players. I just hope and pray to God to be among the club's favourites. And to learn from the experienced players, coaches and management it has."

Sunshine Stars head coach, Fatai Amoo, said Josiah is a hard-working player and pointed out his aerial presence as his biggest asset.

"Christian is fine footballer, who is ready to learn new things and he is always working hard and not afraid to try out new things. He is an asset to our team because he is brave and aerially strong," said Amoo, who was reportedly believed to have resigned his post as the club's head coach.

On Matchday 22 of the Premier League, Josiah showed flashes of his aerial presence by scoring twice to help Sunshine Stars to a 3-1 win over Kwara United in Akure.

"It wasn't an easy game but God made it so easy. I am happy that I showed how strong I am in the air," said the striker.

Josiah is available for Sunshine Stars for their Matchday 23 against Sunshine Stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment