Monday, July 29, 2013

I didn't beg for Sunshine job – Amoo

Fatai Amoo (pictured) has told Naijaligue.blogspot.com that he never angled for the head coach job at Sunshine Stars but rather was contacted to take up the offer.

Amoo was reported to have resigned his appointment last week, as Sunshine Stars head coach after the team's ouster from the Federation Cup at the hands of Nasarawa United.

But the former Super Eagles assistant coach has denied he handed in a letter of resignation last week.

"I was surprised when people started calling me to ask why I resigned when I never did. It was a rumour that went too far. I had already planned to go on a coaching course in the United States when Sunshine Stars contacted me. I was keen to go for the coaching course but they told me they'll want me to take charge immediately which I obliged and I moved the course to a later date.

"What actually happened was that the loss in the Federation Cup game didn't go down well with some people. But they forgot that we had our constraint as a team," explained the Sunshine Stars gaffer.

Amoo revealed that he had to name a squad of just 12 outfield players for the Cup tie against Nasarawa United and even dressed goalkeeper Ayodele Henry as an outfield player.

"The team registered 24 players for the Federation Cup. Four of them, Godfrey (Oboabona), Solomon Kwambe, Kunle Odunlami and Dele Olorundare were in the Super Eagles camp. Dele didn't make the final (Nigeria) squad to the Ivory Coast trip and only returned to the team few hours before the match after a long trip from Abuja. Also, four of the 24 players are goalkeepers.

"Of the outfield players, Cletus Itodo and Ofem Inah were out with illness and injury respectively and we took a risk by naming Ofem in the team for that day. So you can see the difficult situation we found ourselves as the new players were all Cup-tied since they arrived after registration had closed," Amoo explained further.


The former 3SC coach and his backroom staff are expected to meet the Sunshine Stars management on the recent happenings at the Glo Premier League club.

No comments:

Post a Comment