Saturday, July 04, 2009

My First Season Ended In Triumph - Okorowanta

Bayelsa United playmaker, Bernard Okorowanta, is excited that after playing in the Premier League for the first time, he has ended up as a winner of the league title.
The Bayelsa United midfielder, who is younger brother to former Nigeria international, Tarila Okorowanta, told our correspondent that after returning to Nigeria from Turkey he joined the Nigerian champion.
Okorowanta also pointed out that it was initially difficult to adapt after returning to the country, but he had his family members to thank for their support.
“Coming back to Nigeria to play in the local league was not as easy as it seemed now. This is the first time I am playing in the Nigerian league and it is good for me, because in my first season, I have won the league. I have my family to thank for their support. My brothers have been particularly encouraging and that has really helped me as an individual and as a player,” he said.
Speaking on the performance of Bayelsa United in the last season, Okorowanta commended himself and his team-mates for remaining consistent throughout the whole season.
He attributed the feat of the Yenagoa-based outfit in the immediate past season to commitment and discipline.
“It wasn’t such an easy season as people might think. For us to have hold out for such a long time at the top of the Premier League starting from last year till the end of the season was not a fluke. We really worked hard on and off the pitch for each other. Our fans were also a source of encouragement to us because they followed us everywhere we went to play our matches, whether it was in Oghara, where we play at home or away,” he said.
Okorowanta also spoke in glowing terms about Cele George, who had little play-time due to the form of the skilful midfielder.
“He is my good friend. Before I came to the club, he was their playmaker and when I came the coach has given me the chance to play more. But that does not affect our relationship because I am always to see him play ahead of me at time. The coach does not believe in sticking to just a particular set of players, as he believes that team work wins matches,” he said.
Already, Okorowanta is looking forward to next season and has declared that he is likely going to spend one more season with the Nigerian champion.
But the former Flying Eagles’ midfielder is not ruling out moving abroad once again if the offer comes his way and he deems it right.
“As a footballer anything can happen. You can wake up the next morning and you’re packing your bags and heading for a new club abroad. For me, I am still going to stay at Bayelsa United for another season after an injury-free season,” he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment