Saturday, September 05, 2009

Chukwu Takes A Break After Rangers’ Exit

Outgoing Enugu Rangers’ head coach, Christian Chukwu, has declared that he would not be looking to take up another job with another Globacom Premier League by the start of the new season.
Chukwu was told by the board of the Flying Antelopes that it would not renew his contract ahead of the 2009/2010 campaign since he failed to guide the side to a place in one of the CAF club competitions for next year.
The incident has drawn mixed reactions in the base of the Premier League outfit leading up to the head coach role being advertised as vacant by the Rangers’ board, but Chukwu is unperturbed by the decision.
He told our correspondent that in spite of the Enugu Rangers’ board insisting that he must re-apply, Chukwu believes that it would be an insult to apply for a job he was in charge of until last season.
The former Kenyan national team coach also disclosed at the weekend while attending a wedding ceremony in Owerri, Imo State that he has decided to take a break from coaching.
“I have done my best for Rangers, but the people in charge believe that the coaches are the problem. I am not disturbed about the way they have decided to handle the whole matter. But if they are saying that I should apply for the job as coach of the club, then if I apply then I must be really mad to do so. I have respect for the club because it is a club with so much tradition behind it.
“But I am not worried because I won’t apply for the job after they advertised it. Instead I will stay away and take a little break from the game. But I will be back at the appropriate time and my appropriate time will be when a club with a management that respects their coach and players, a club that is ambitious and keep its players together because it wants to win trophies,” remarked Chukwu in his usual calm tone.
However, Chukwu made it clear that after he was shown the exit door when his deal with the Premier League side ran out at the end of last season, it would not change his devoted support for the club he served as central defender..
The former Enugu Rangers’ skipper further said he is ready to render any sort of assistance to the side if his opinion is sought after in a bid to end more than two decades of title drought.
“It has been more than 20 years since Rangers won the title and the only we can win something soon is if the board and other stakeholders at the club work hand in hand. I will not hold anything against those that decided to leave me out of the club due to reasons best known to them. I played for the club as a player and I am happy with what we achieved back then and I will be ready to help in bringing back those glorious days at the club if those at the helms of affair talk to me,” offered Chukwu.

No comments:

Post a Comment