Tuesday, September 08, 2009

I’ll Return Stronger, Boasts Iyowuna


Dolphins Football Club defensive midfielder, Iyowuna Edward, is optimistic of returning a stronger player than before after breaking his leg last season in a Federation Cup game three months ago.
According to Edward, he feared that he would be out for the rest of this year after he suffered fracture in his tibia and fibula when doctors told him to stay away from the game for a while.
But after new scans on his injured leg, Edward is now confident that he can return for his club in a matter of weeks, as the Port Harcourt begins its campaign in the top-flight of professional league football in Nigeria after more than two seasons in the lower division.
It would be recalled that initial scan carried out on the player revealed that he would spend eight months on the sidelines and would be ready for rehabilitation by early next year.
However, the projection has changed and Edward said: “I have been told that it is possible for me to start training in five weeks. I must say that I am a bit shocked because I was thinking that I will not play football this year again. Now I am confident that I will become a stronger than player than before the injury.”
The midfielder known for his hard-tackling sustained an almost similar injury about two years ago and recalled how he felt tortured after being left out of the game for close to a year.
“It is not the first time that this is happening to me. I think about two years or so ago, I suffered a serious injury on my leg and I remembered missing out of football for about a year. I was really pained by that injury because it setback my career,” he said.
In spite of the setbacks, Edward is grateful to Dolphins FC, its coaches, officials and team-mates for standing by him through the ordeal of the career-threatening injury.
The Dolphins FC man feared that the injury had ended his career until he was told that he can return to training in just over a month from now.
“I will soon be back. Injuries like this are not good for a footballer’s career but I am happy I am putting this sad episode behind me a looking forward to my return to Premier League football. I have a lot of people to thank for it. My team-mates, officials and coaches. But God Almighty has also made this possible and now I am looking forward to the new season with hope,” he said.
Edward signed for Dolphins FC at the end of the 2005 season and has been a key figure in the team since then.

No comments:

Post a Comment