Monday, February 22, 2010

I’ll Set New Top Scorer’s Record – Ahmad Musa

Premier League top scorer, Ahmad Musa of Kano Pillars, has set himself a target of becoming the first player in the Nigerian top-flight to surpass Ishaya Jatau’s 20-year-old record.
Jatau, who played for Iwuanyanwu Nationale in the 1990 season, scored a record 17 goals and only former Akwa United striker, Akarandut Orok, has equalled that feat with the likes of Victor Ezeji and Joetex Frimpong going one goal short of doing same.
But Musa, who has been in blistering for Kano Pillars since the start of the year, is confident of scoring more than 17 goals this season.
Already Musa, 17, has scored 11 times in 18 appearances for his club, which puts his goal ratio per game at 0.6.
The former Jos University Teaching Hospital (JUTH) Football Club striker continued his impressive form last Saturday by netting twice for Kano Pillars in its 5 – 1 demolition of Ocean Boys at the Sani Abacha Stadium, Kano.
The two goals brought the Plateau State-born striker’s goals’ haul to 11 and ensured that he leapfrogged Enyimba’s Osas Idehen, who has 10 goals.
However, the striker, who turns 18 later in the year, told Naijaligue.blogspot.com that he wants to win the Premier League and end up as top scorer this season.
“It is a good feeling to know that I am doing well for my club. That is the obligation that I have to them, and my business is to continue to score goals for the side as long as the coach plays me. I know that there is no player, who has scored 20 goals before in our league and by the grace of God, I’ll set that record and become the first player to do so.
“For me, it has not been easy because there are other good players in the league as well. But I am happy that I play for a team that has quality players and an equally good coach, and that is why we have done well since the start of the year. That I scored 11 goals was due to those that I play alongside and they (my team-mates) are always telling me before the match that I can score in every game till the end of the season,” Musa told Naijaligue.blogspot.com in his first interview since his newfound form.
Asked if he is looking forward to the game between his team, Kano Pillars and rival, Enyimba, since he would have to fight the challenge of Idehen and his club for the top scorer award and the Premier League, Musa calmly stated that he would rather concentrate on the games at hand.
“I don’t want to worry myself with Enyimba, because it is better to concentrate on the games we have now. I don’t think we want to distract ourselves with Enyimba on our minds. But whenever we play them, we will be very prepared,” he said.
Enyimba and Kano Pillars would face each other in a Week 34 game on May 19, which is the 340th game on the calendar of the Nigeria Premier League (NPL).

No comments:

Post a Comment