Sunday, July 11, 2010

Akpokona Quits Warri Wolves

Coach Lawrence Akpokona has decided to end his stay with Premier League side, Warrii Wolves.
The former Enugu Rangers’ coach told the official website of the Nigeria Premier League that he has since moved to Benin City at the end of the season.
He revealed that he had sent a text message to the Warri Wolves’ chairman, Pinnick Amaju, that he would not return to Warri after the game against Sunshine Stars.
“I am no longer going to stay with Warri Wolves. Before the last game against Sunshine Stars, I sent a text to the Chairman, Pinnick Amaju that the Sunshine game would be my last game.
“But I learnt he travelled to London. But by that time, I had made up my mind to leave the club because in spite of what I did for them, they did not show appreciation.
Akpokona also said he was informed that Amaju blamed the coaching crew for lacking depth in handling the team during an interview he granted a media outfit recently.
“A lot of people called me that he granted an interview that the problem of the team is the lack of depth in the technical crew. Now even if that is true, it is not for him to begin to announce it to the whole world. But before he made that pronouncement, I had already made up my mind to leave the club.
“When a team seem not to be doing well, it is the coach. But people moist times don’t ask question whether the right conditions are there for him to perform.
“Last Friday, I got a letter from the Secretary of the club that my contract will not be renewed. And then I asked, do I have a contract in the first place?
“I am in my house in Benin and after the last game against Sunshine Stars, I left on my own volition,” Akpokona fumed.
It would be recalled that Naijaligue.blogspot.com reported that Akpokona faced the axe and it is apparent that he threw in the towel to avoid being sacked by the club management.

No comments:

Post a Comment