Thursday, October 27, 2011

Aneke set for Belgian test


By Ojeikere Aikhoje

Nigeria Premier League joint top scorer, Jude Aneke (pictured), is set to undergo trials in Belgium.

The former Anambra United forward has attracted the attention of a Belgian side after scoring 17 goals this term to emerge joint top scorer in the highly rated NPL with the duo of Plateau United’s George Akpabio and Sunshine Stars’ Ibrahim Ajani.

SuperSport.com learnt that Aneke’s preparation for the Belgian test is responsible for his exit from the Under23 team (Dream Team V), which is at present preparing for the last phase of the London 2012 Olympics qualifiers in Morocco.

“I had to leave the Under23 camp because my international passport is not with me. I’m expecting a visa to Belgium since a club has invited me.

“My agent was even in the country to watch the matches at Enyimba as well as Enugu Rangers and expressed satisfaction with my performance. I intend to maximize the opportunities available.

“I worked hard to get a goal at Enyimba, but the Rangers defenders didn’t give me any chance at all,” he told SuperSport.com.

Aneke applauded Kaduna United's Belgian manager, Maurice Cooreman and teammates for his efficiency in front of goal.

“Cooreman gave me the opportunity to play in Nigeria’s top flight. The coach has scouts across the country. One of them actually noticed me at Anambra United last season and recommended me to him. I moved to Kaduna during the mid-season and scored 12 goals.

“He was convinced that I’ll score more goals even when I had only five at the end of the first round. As a striker, I wasn’t discouraged because it’s normal to have goal drought.

“My teammates have equally been wonderful. When Enyimba were four goals up in Aba, they were still convinced that I’ll get a goal before the final whistle. It wasn’t easy because the Enyimba defenders were all over me,” he said to SuperSport.com.

Aneke has scored 29 NPL goals for Kaduna United from 2010 through 2011.

© SuperSport.com

No comments:

Post a Comment