Monday, May 14, 2012

I cried over Eagles' exclusion – Ofoedu


Nigeria Premier League (NPL) leading scorer, Chikeluba Ofoedu (pictured) has revealed to Naijaligue.blogspot.com that he shed tears when he was not called up to the Super Eagles.

Ofoedu was not considered for a call-up to the Nigerian side, now preparing to face Peru in an international friendly game later in May in Lima.

"I cried when I did not see my name (in the list of invited players to the Super Eagles' camp)," said the 19-year-old to Naijaligue.blogspot.com.

Ofoedu, who goes by the nickname Pato, has taken solace from the fact that his club, Enugu Rangers are blazing the trail in the Nigerian Premiership.

The striker, who has scored 10 goals for the Flying Antelopes in his first season in the top flight, said his club's impressive run offers him an escape route from the pain of national team blackout.

He is also happy to see his closest pal, Ogonna Uzochukwu, at Rangers make the list of invited players that would fight for places ahead of the trip to Lima, Peru.

"I think it is not my time to go to the national team. I will wait for God's time and when that time comes I believe nobody can stop me. All I can do is wish the team the best in their coming games and I will pray that they win their games too.

"It's also good that my friend and brother, Ugonna is with the national team. I'm happy for him. He's a very good player who works hard and I hope he makes the final team.

"As for me, the concentration will be to help Rangers in their (league) games and hopefully we can win something this year after such a long time," Ofoedu said.

It is 28 years since Enugu Rangers last won the top flight or a major trophy but Ofoedu believes the current Flying Antelopes can end that hoodoo.

The teenage striker is confident that a combination of belief, hard work and lady luck can help his Premiership team win a first trophy since 1984.

"Everything is possible in football but we need to work hard everyday and in every game if we want to win (the league). We must believe that God can make it happen and at the same time we must create our own luck by working hard," Ofoedu, who won the Player of the Month award in January organised by Naija Premier League Bloggers Award, said.

No comments:

Post a Comment