Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Namo wants to save the Miners

Source: Kickoffnigeria.com
Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) leading scorer, Victor Namo is confident his goals can help Nasarawa United avoid the fall at the end of this season.


Namo has scored 13 goals this season, one more than the trio of Bishop Onyeudo (Enyimba), Oghenekaro Etebo (Warri Wolves) and Dele Olorundare, who was with Sunshine Stars until he sealed a move to Turkish outfit, Tavsanli Linyitspor last month.

The former Mighty Jets man netted his 13th league goal of the season from the spot as Nasarawa United downed Kano Pillars 2-1 in Lafia on Sunday.

But Namo is not carried away with the fact that he is leading the scorers' chart as Nasarawa United's top flight continues to hang in the balance.

"I'm quite happy that I'm now the top scorer in the league and I'm grateful to God for this. I must also thank my teammates and coaches for all of the work they've done and all the help they've put in for me.

"But winning the highest goalscorer's award will mean little if my goals cannot help Nasarawa United avoid relegation. I am confident we will not be relegated and my goals can help Nasarawa United stay in the premier league," said Namo, who also scored a third career hat-trick during a matchday 28 game against Dolphins last month.

Namo, who had previously scored hat-tricks while playing for Jos-based club, Mighty Jets and Yobe Desert Warriors, knows the Solid Miners are not out of the woods just yet following a 2-1 win over champions Kano Pillars on Sunday.

"It was a good win against my former team (Kano Pillars) and to score against them was lifting for me considering they're the champions of the league. But our work to survive is still on and we have to put in my best to save our season," said Namo to supersport.com.
Nasarawa United currently have 39 points after 30 matches and sit just above the bottom four.


NPFL leading scorers

13 goals
Victor Namo (Nasarawa United)

12 goals
Dele Olorundare (Sunshine Stars)
Bishop Onyeudo (Enyimba)
Oghenekaro Etebo (Warri Wolves)

11 goals
Rabiu Ali (Kano Pillars)
Mfon Udoh (Akwa United)

No comments:

Post a Comment