Saturday, June 14, 2014

Uzoenyi fired up by second chance

Enugu Rangers winger, Ejike Uzoenyi (pictured), is excited with getting another opportunity with the Nigerian squad for the 2014 Fifa World Cup in Brazil.
Uzoenyi was initially dropped alongside seven other players from the World Cup squad of the African champions but has now been recalled to replace injured left-back, Elderson Echiejile.

The attacking winger has now broken his silence to express how he feels getting another chance to be in Brazil with Stephen Keshi's team.

Uzoenyi is now eyeing "a remarkable" outing with the Super Eagles at the Mundial and even doused any controversy over his recall to the team.

"I don't know what you mean by controversy. What is so controversial about it (my return to the team)? It is a wonderful thing and it's good to be back. I give God all the glory because it is God that brought me here.

"All the players ran to me and everybody was happy to have me back. I don't know but this is still surprising to me as I thought this present World Cup isn't meant for me. I'm happy to be back although I prayed before coming back for Echiejile to recover quickly. I felt so bad, it is not my intention to come back in place an injured player because it could have been me or any other person.

"I have to start from where I stopped. Even when I was going back (home after initially being dropped) I never felt that bad. My spirit was with the team because this is my team. I started from day one with coach Stephen Keshi.

"He has been there for me. Even if he asks me to go back to Nigeria I'll do so. He has been a father, even when I was down he was there for me. So I think this World Cup, God give me the strength, will be a remarkable thing in my life. I'll give everything," the former Enyimba man said.

Uzoenyi, 26, will be at the Fifa World Cup with quite a reputation after being named most valuable player at the African Nations Championship (Chan) in South Africa earlier this year.



No comments:

Post a Comment