Monday, November 21, 2011

Emordi quits Enyimba

Enyimba coach Okey Emordi has resigned from his post at the Aba-based team.

Emordi on Monday officially served the club chairman, Chief Felix Anyansi-Agwu with his resignation letter ending a three-year romance with the six-time Nigerian champions.

In 2009 Emordi made a dramatic return to the team he took to their second Caf Champions League triumph in 2004.

The former Enugu Rangers coach guided the immediate past domestic champions to seventh place at the just-concluded NPL season and semifinals of the 2011 Caf Champions League losing to Morocco's Wydad Athletics Club.

Emordi told SuperSport.com that he has left the club for good having submitted his disengagement letter written on October 17 personally to the club chairman.

"I have resigned my appointment with Enyimba.

"I just submitted a letter to that effect to the chairman of the club, Chief Anyansi-Agwu and we bade ourselves farewell.

"The letter was dated October 17 where I made my intention known that I will leave the club at the end of the season.

"I waited up to now to severe my service because I wanted to serve the letter personally to the chairman.

"He has been out of the country since our last Caf Champions League match against Wydad, he just returned and I served him with the letter today (Monday)," Emordi said.

Although, Emordi said the decision to leave the team was personal, he appeared not to have been comfortable with the chairman's comment after the team's exit from the Champions League where he said the coach has failed.

"The decision to leave the team is personal.

"When you work and your efforts are not appreciated it gives you a feeling of being unwanted.

"Things are not done well there. There are lots of indiscipline among the players occasioned by non-payment of players' entitlements and these impact negatively on the coach.

"People do not factor all these into consideration in their criticism of coaches, once a coach does not win a match he is singled out for criticism.

"I am not making excuses, I am done with the team and it's a mutual (disengagement)," he said.

The one-time Bush Bucks of South Africa coach who declined comment on his next destination insisted that he wants to let people know that he is free at the moment.

"I am free now, that is the most important thing.

"I don't have any particular direction at the moment, I will go home and keep things in order," he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment